Friday, January 9, 2015

Volunteer Spotlight: Indiana University Y'ALL


Volunteers at a Welcome Home Party 
St. Bernard Project NOLA was lucky to have students from Indiana University’s Y’ALL (Youth Advocating Leadership & Learning) club from Bloomington, Indiana joined us for a great week of service and building. They arrived on a bus and filed out full of energy and excitement. These volunteers came to work and to build! The group of 40 said they chose to work with us because of “amazing reviews, as well as the ability to accommodate our large group.” Saying, “It was a perfect fit for us.” Tasks included drywalling, painting, and mold prevention. They said the best part was interacting with the homeowner and wanted to give a special shoutout to Mr. Frank. Aparna Srinath told me, “It’s nice to give back to the community and I’m  happy I to do  it with SBP.” 

Duyen Nguyen pulled from some past experiences, saying “I’ve been on many volunteer trips and St. Bernard Project is now one of my favorites! SBP  embodies the spirit of service as well as giving us an insight about the community of New Orleans.” Jack Alexander rebutted “So, I’ve been on more service trips than Duyen, and I’ve seen service projects done well and done poorly. SBP is engaging in a GREAT mission in New Orleans and I’m honored to have been apart of it.” When asked what made this experience unique, they replied saying “There is work for everyone at all skill levels. We feel like we’re  giving back to NOLA.”
Some of the students with their Site Supervisor

Advice for future volunteers? Don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty! Danny Riggs viewed the week as “terrific experience, and very eye-opening. I’ve gained perspective and I can’t wait to come back!” Alex McManus made a donation, by buying a shirt and reflected on his week “I’m in it for the SBP t-shirts and I love being a blessing to others.” As Nick Phoebus put it “You get what you give.” Finally, the oh so humble Timmy O’Conner said, “I heard this would get me the ladies.” Thanks for all your hard work Y’ALL -- hope to see you again in NOLA sometime soon!



No comments: