Tuesday, April 6, 2010

April 6, 2010, AmeriCorps NCCC member gives up spring break to work with SBP

Hello! My name is Emily and I am a corps member in AmeriCorps NCCC from the Perry Point, MD campus. A few days before we departed on our first adventure of our service year, we were informed about an opportunity to come to New Orleans and volunteer with the St. Bernard Project. There was a lot of excitement over this opportunity for many reasons, but especially because Liz McCartney had recently spoken at our induction and everyone was excited to be a part of this great project. About 45 corps members applied to be a part of the composite team by writing a letter of interest and nine were chosen. I was fortunate enough to be one of them. Coming to New Orleans meant being separated from our team for a month, a 20 hour van ride and missing our spring break, but I don’t think anyone gave that a second thought; we are all extremely excited to be here. Working with the St. Bernard Project has been an eye-opening experience to say the least. I am shocked at all the devastation that still remains in the New Orleans area but more surprised at how much a small group of dedicated people can accomplish, it’s truly amazing. Most of my team works in the field learning and teaching different sorts of construction skills and I work in the office. We have been here for two weeks and we have two weeks to go. I have learned so much, most importantly how crucial St. Bernard Project is to the community. I have talked to several homeowners that are incredibly grateful for all this organization does and that makes all of our hard work worth it. I am so excited to be working with St. Bernard Project, and sad that we can’t stay longer because I believe in the great work they are doing and am happy to be a part of it.

No comments: